Saturday, April 24, 2010

Schools


Finding good schools for my kids is always my #1 priority when finding a house. In the DC metro it is tricky finding a place that you can afford with good schools and a decent commute.

Our home is within walking distance of William B. Wade Elementary. It is a great school and the only one in the county I'd would send them too. (I would also consider Craik. The have good test scores, but the building doesn't have actual walls, only dividers between the classrooms and I thought it would be too difficult for my kids to concentrate). The teachers have both taught and challenged my kids in a nurturing environment. I have also always felt that my kids were safe and they didn't have to deal with a lot of the nonsense that goes on in other nearby schools. Here's some assesment info: http://www.edline.net/files/_bFKny_/2368f1ae9c1efe6d3745a49013852ec4/Wade_2011ReportCard.pdf

We are also zoned for Theodore Davis Middle School. This is also the best middle school in the area. My child has thrived and I couldn't be happier. I really like that they each subject is taught to a student's abilities, where most schools only offer various levels for reading and math. They offer more gifted subjects than any other school I've ever heard of. It has the best school cafeteria food anywhere. Testing info: http://www.mdreportcard.org/Assessments.aspx?K=080625

We are zoned for Westlake High School. I have no personal experience with the school, but I would not feel comfortable sending my children there. Students in the area can apply to attend North Point High School, which is a much better school. If my children were older, that's what I would do.